Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"SOAR"- Metal Art

I started this project at a meetup that I went to with a few SB buddies a couple of weeks ago.  I started with a 8x8 canvas, chipboard pieces and metal art tools.....The metal is  metal duct tape  from a hardware store cut in strips and pieces.  I also used 1/4" aluminum tape by Inksentials.  Another hardware product I used was drywall mesh.......(also from the hardware store or a wallyworld......)...... This project is soooo relaxing. 

Initially I was only going to use  the letters "SOAR" which are TH grunge alphabets.  I purchased a few pieces of chipboard at "Scrapdoodles" ("art", "simply", "create" and the butterflies).....and decided to incorporate them on the canvas.  The finished product has butterflies that I cut using the PC Cuttlebug buttefly cut n' emboss die and aluminum pepsi cola cans.....I embossed the butterflies with several different embossing folders and backed them with black cardstock.  Before I added the 3D pieces I painted the entire canvas with acrylic paint (black) and wiped it off leaving a somewhat distressed-antiqued look.  I adhered metal corners to the canvas.  Fframed the canvas on a black suede background.  There is a glare because I took the pic inside ....the light shined off of the glassed frame.   I also added metal pieces (wings, bird and butterfly) to the canvas piece once I completed it.... 
(click on Pic for larger image)

6 comments:

Treva said...

Another awesome project, this came out great! The butterflies really make it pop.

Do What You Love said...

This is gorgeous metal art, Ms. Dee. I love the butterflies and look at the brads how they glisten. I will have to find a hardware store and do something fun like this (if I dare)! TFS! ;D

Audrey Frelx said...

I just love how this turned out!!! Doesn't look like duct tape at all!!!

Mrs. Swandog said...

Oh I just love this...it's amazing!

2 Ducky said...

OOOOOHHHHHH!!! I want this!!! FANTASTIC job. :)

JustYolie said...

Wow! It's beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

2011- "Sustaining the Dream"- Tribute to Martin Luther King

Tim Holtz "Embrace Art" Texture Fade Mini